Research for New Microphone Techniques

On our main track “Love is a Crime” Joe (bassist, pianist and saxophonist!) brought a saxophone along with him! This was new experience for me as I have never recorded a sax before. So with some research (mostly from Sound On Sound) I found that the best technique is to use a dynamic microphone such as SM57 or the SM58 about 6 inches away from the bell of the sax (I decided to use the 57). This captures the protruding sound from the microphone, so could be a bit harsh in the mix. I then placed an AKG C414 as a room mic. To find the sweet spot of the sax I got Joe to play in a couple of different spots. When I found the best place I then stood in different corners of the room as he played, this helped me to gauge the best place to put the room mic. What I found was it wasn’t too far away from the SM57, and it picked up a great vibe from the room. In the recording this really stood out which was great for us. The sound came out full and bright, which an instrument of this caliber should be, we were all very happy with the recording.

Sax Mic 2Sax Mic 1